Like most millenials, I love YouTube. I spent the past several hours watching Nerdfighters, and I can’t really say why. Just my luck, I get a craving for them just as John Green announces he’s taking a year off all social media except YouTube.
Now, I’m really happy about it, because maybe this will give him the refresher he needs to start a new book, (or let him concentrate on a book he’s already started)
Before I got a Green craving, I was going through Booktube. My first impressions were 1.All of these girls are beautiful and wear makeup, 2. 20 minutes is a little too long for a video, and 3. I WANT TO READ THAT BOOK. (Which is why I’m currently reading Daughter Of Smoke And Bone)
I really want to join BookTube, but it isn’t simple for me. (I’m not sure if it’s simple for anyone.)
- It looks like fun!
- More book recommendations! I’ve heard of DOSAB before, but I didn’t hear enough to convince me to read it.
- Another community that is an extension of the one I’m already in. I’ve heard of Angela Basset, but I’ve yet to watch any of her videos. It felt a little odd and distant whenever someone mentioned her on a blog or twitter. I’ll get to her soon and find out what the hype is about!
- Media experience! As a journalism major, it would look really good on job apps. My professors have tried to get me more into digital media, but I’ve always preferred magazines. I love magazines! But I recognize that print isn’t a booming industry, so it’ll be good to have something to fall back on.
- Privacy. This one is major. Everyone knows what JK Rowling looks like and what John Green sounds like. The scary part is that after Reichenbach Falls, someone physically attacked Sir A.C. Doyle to scare him into writing more Sherlock. And while i’m thankful to have more Sherlock, I do not want it to happen to me.
- Recognition. While I trust a few people in my daily life with my penname, I wouldn’t trust everyone. And yes, I know the probability falls into me remaining on a tiny island of a platform, but it is a chance I have to consider.
- Overshare. While I have been open about many things, my homelessness, my asexuality, etc., I haven’t shared much with my IRL folks. And some I do want to come out to in the future, and don’t want them finding out via internet.
In conclusion, I want to, but I need not to. I’ve always thought that on book tours or other hopefully someday events that I attend as Brittaina I’d wear a mask and a different style of clothing. While that may seem a bit excessive, I really value my privacy. I can’t afford a mask and new clothes right now. I may in the future.
Sorry to disappoint if you were expecting this post to be a BookTube launch, but I want to someday. Someday, unless I die or an equally catastrophic event happens where it isn’t possible. Someday, I want a booktube channel. Just not right now.
BTW, if you want it to happen sooner, check out my ko-fi and donate, or promote it in ways that you can. I want to do this, but I want to do it in a way that makes me feel safe.