Snakes are one of many underrated character types, possibly because of ophidiophobia, possibly because of the human tendency to believe that your species is the best species. It’s probably the latter, as minority characters aren’t as apparent as white girls. Other character types, such as Death, aliens, etc., are usually not the main character. Shout out to atypicalnarratives’ Trees In Fiction!
But that doesn’t mean they aren’t necessary. if it weren’t for snakes,
- Harry Potter? There’d be no Harry Potter. NO HARRY POTTER! Even FB had occammies.
2. What would Medusa look like? Strictly this is history, not fiction, but she is portrayed in a number of books, the immediate Percy Jackson comes to mind.
3. Remember this guy? Kaa from Jungle Book.
4. Master Viper from Kung Fu Panda. A warrior can be feminine! Who doesn’t like viper? Oh, snake haters.
5. Yep, fiction. Probably. Cleopatra is long said to have been bitten by a poisonous cobra, but it’s unlikely to have actually happened. Snakes preserve their venom for times of acute danger, and a large, yet variable, percent of snakebites are dry. (non-venomous.)
How are you felling about snakes? Are there any other snakes I’m not listing?